mysticOn our second day in Mystic we got up and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast in the dining room. It was served buffet style and included eggs, bacon, toast and pancakes as well as coffee, tea and juices.

After breakfast we went to the room to wash up and someone wanted to try out the jacuzzi tub… with bubble bath. Apparently you should not put bubbles in a jacuzzi because next thing I know the bubbles were overflowing from the tub.. and the sink… and toilet… All of which had been filled with excess bubbles. It took most of the afternoon for the bubbles to dissipate.

For lunch we went to the Oyster Club which was also conveniently located near our inn. Despite our choice of going to an oyster restaurant we were craving burgers and shared a burger and a cup of the clam chowder. The chowder was oddly thin, but the burger hit the spot.

We checked out the shops again in the daylight including a bookstore. I was very excited when I walked in to see Allie Brosh’s animated book Hyperbole and a Half. I’ve been a big fan of her blog for many years so was thrilled to pick up a copy of the book.

mohegan sunMore rest and relaxation for a few hours before it was time to head out to Mohegan Sun for the evening. Mohegan is about a 30 minute drive from the center of Mystic and the GPS took us through some very dark backroads to get there. (We later realized the GPS was set to avoid highways – oops!) I had never been to Mohegan Sun before and was overwhelmed by the size and grandeur of it.

We started our evening with fruity martinis in the Vista Lounge. Very classy ambiance and exactly how I like to start my nights. After finishing our drinks we ventured out onto the casino floor. We were hoping to play at some of the inexpensive Black Jack tables but they were very crowded and we were never able to get a seat. Instead we lost a few dollars in the slot machines and moved on to check out the Wolf’s Den.

Unfortunately the show in the Wolf’s Den had already started and there were no more seats to watch the show, but we watched from outside for a few minutes and it sounded very good. By this point we were quite hungry and headed over to Sol Toro, Michael Jordan’s tequila bar and grill for dinner. We ate some tasty fish tacos and other items.

Another venture through the casino floor looking for inexpensive Black Jack let us down and we decided it was time to make the drive back to the Steamboat Inn for the night.

Sunday was our last day in Mystic and we didn’t have anything on the schedule. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the inn, said goodbye to our favorite room and checked out. It was still early in the day so we wandered into a coffee shop with our computers and spent a few hours sending emails and getting back to reality while sipping lattes. By lunchtime we were back on the road and took a quick stopover in Providence for some shawarma wraps before landing back at home.

Read about Day 1 in Mystic.